Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Kristina and I always joked about my love of costumes (and Halloween). After I had kids, my love of costuming grew exponentially, and my kids were often dressed and photographed in some pretty outlandish costumes. At some point during her chemo treatment, Kristina joked that she might start making extraordinarily detailed costume requests, and that I'd be obliged to comply because, well--chemo. I don't think she thought I'd take her seriously, but I went for it. The picture below is from our first set of "Miss Kristina" pictures. Beginning with Valentine's Day (and for every month thereafter) we created crazy costumes and props and turned our upstairs loft into a studio. Every month we tried to do something crazier than the last. Every time Kristina thought she could stump me with a request--like a donkey for Cinco deMayo--we found a way to make it happen. What started out as a joke between friends resulted in an amazing treasure. Thanks to Kristina, I now have a year's worth of beautiful, hilarious pictures of my kids. These pictures hang in my home, on my mother's walls, and sit in frames on my in-law's mantle. They have brought so much happiness to so many people. I don't think I would have done this for anyone else, but for Kristina it was totally worth it. This was such a small part of my friendship with K, but I'm so grateful for it. Looking back, I realize whole thing is even more beautiful because it was so "her." She let me think I was doing this all for her, while the whole time she was the one giving the gift. Her friendship is gift enough, but this collection is an absolute treasure. Thanks, K. I'll be forever in your debt.


---
Thanks, Liz!
Edit by Mark: Looks like the image link was broken, so I added one of my favorites!

---

Edit by Mark: For a look at a couple more photos check out Kriss' blog post from 2012!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Kristina LOVED those photos! So did I. Thank you for bringing so much joy into her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for adding a picture that worked. Your blog skills are far superior to mine. When I look back at these pictures, I'm so grateful this became a "thing." I promise to keep the tradition going. As the boys have gotten older, they're not quite as willing to participate, but I think they'll make an exception now and then.

    ReplyDelete